The Core4Grid project is proving market viability and customer acceptance of our future flexible grid.
Working with industry partners, geo are leading a BEIS funded consortium that’s enabling domestic demand-side-response through our Hybrid Home™ in 24 UK homes.
To inform the Core4Grid trial, geo identified five market and technological solutions to be tested:
1. Household half-hour ‘spot price’ tariffs, so homeowners can charge when it’s cheapest
2. The right to sell excess generation, on an open market and be paid a fair rate
3. Access to suppliers, where stored energy can be sold when not needed at home
4. A marketplace for (Demand Side Response) DSR services, where participating households get fairly paid
5. An intelligent management system that optimises all this, so homeowners can relax and let the technology do the work.
geo set itself three challenges to address in the project
1. Demonstrate that domestic flexible grid technology is ready to deploy affordably, with a net economic benefit realisable at scale.
2. Demonstrate that households are positive about becoming active consumers (automatically participating in demand flexibility) via their Core Energy Brain.
3. Demonstrate that aggregated Hybrid Homes provide flexibility; reliably and at scale in key stress areas.
3 research areas in support of Core4Grid
Our early recommendations to industry can be found here.
We couldn’t do it alone, so we assembled a World-leading consortium, in flexibility markets and domestic energy delivery.